24th ICRI General Meeting
The first General Meeting of the France-Samoa ICRI Secretariat was held from the 12-15 January 2010 in the Principality of Monaco. The meeting was co-chaired by the French Ambassador for the Environment, Laurent Stefanini, Faalavaau Perina Jacqueline Sila, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Samoa and Patrick Van Klaveren, Ministre-Conseiller, Principality of Monaco.
- The meeting was opened with a welcoming video message from Jean-Louis Borloo, French Minister for Ecology, Energy, Sustainable Development and Marine Affairs responsible for green technologies and climate negotiations.
- A total of 81 participants attended the ICRI General Meeting. 21 countries were represented and 30 organizations (list of participants). France, Monaco and the United States of America provided financial support to several countries to enable their participation.
- The General Meeting welcomed the National Coral Reef Institute (NCRI) and SeaWeb as ICRI member organizations.
- The 8 objectives of the program of work for the France-Samoa Secretariat were adopted.
- The ICRI Secretariat announced the decision to organize the next International Tropical Marine Ecosystems Management Symposium (ITMEMS) in Guadeloupe in 2011.
- Five recommendations and resolutions were adopted by the ICRI General Meeting:
- Recommendation for the Caribbean region / Recommandation pour la région Caraïbes
- Resolution on the International Coral Reef Action Network (ICRAN) / Résolution sur le Réseau international d’action pour les récifs coralliens (ICRAN)
- Resolution on the “Call to Action” / Résolution sur l’ “Appel à l’action”
- Recommendation on international trade in coral reef species and related products / Recommandation sur le commerce des coraux, des espèces récifales et des produits associés
- Resolution on coral reef-associated fisheries / Résolution sur les pêches liées aux récifs coralliens
- Four Ad Hoc Committees were created:
- Ad Hoc Committee on the Pacific day
- Ad Hoc Committee on coral reef associated fisheries
- Ad Hoc Committee on the International Coral Reef Action Network
- Ad Hoc Committee on the “Call to Action”
- It was proposed and agreed to extend the duration of the term for the France-Samoa ICRI secretariat until December 2011.
- The next General Meeting will take place from the 8th to the 12th of November 2010 in Apia, Samoa. The details will be circulated to the ICRI Members and posted in due course.