The International Coral Reef Initiative (ICRI), in collaboration with the Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme (SPREP), with support from the French Government , released during the 22nd SPREP Meeting, held in September 2011 in Apia (Samoa), a “Good coastal management practices in the Pacific : experiences from the field”. This work resulted from a recommendation adopted during the last ICRI General Meeting.
This report presents a series of 17 case studies of coastal management initiatives from a wide a range of countries and territories throughout the Pacific region. Case studies illustrate examples of local, provincial, national and regional scales of actions. The initiatives and lessons described in case studies are:
- locally and culturally appropriate,
- suitable to national institutional structure and capacity,
- supported by evidence or considered to have a high likelihood of success,
- cost effective and potentially sustainable or promoting sustainability,
- potentially applicable elsewhere