The United States of America hosted the 36th General Meeting which took place on the 13th and 15th of December 2021. This was the first General Meeting of the United States of America’s third tenure chairing the International Coral Reef Initiative. Due to the one-going and evolving global COVID-19 situation, the 36th General Meeting was conducted online. Despite this, the Secretariat welcomed over 70 participants throughout two days of productive discussions. The General Meeting was opened by Christine Dawson, Department of State.
ICRI welcomed three new members:
- The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- The Commonwealth Secretariat
- The Gulf and Caribbean Fisheries Institute
- Addendum to the ICRI Recommendation on the inclusion of coral reefs and related ecosystems within the CBD Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework
- Resolution to extend the ICRI ad hoc committee for coral reef restoration and adaptation
- Resolution to extend the ICRI Ad Hoc Committee on Resilience-based Management
- The 2021-2024 Plan of Action, Turning the Tide for Coral Reefs as a framework document. Comments can be sent to the Secretariat until 14th January 2022.
- “Status and Trends of East Asian Coral Reefs” which will be released on 21st December 2021.
- World Resource Institute’s new coral reef regional dashboard
- Global Wetland Outlook: special Edition 2021
- Mapping the global funding landscape for coral reef restoration