Meetings Other Relevant Events
The 5th Guam Coral Reef Symposium, hosted in partnership with the 30th Pacific Islands Environment Conference (PIEC). The Coral Reef Symposium will take place from June 25-26, 2019 at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Tumon, Guam. This event will serve as a forum to share findings of management-driven research; cross-jurisdictional lessons learned from coral reef conservation and management efforts; and novel tools and technologies for research, monitoring, enforcement, and restoration.
The symposium is hosted by the Guam Environmental Protection Agency and the Guam Bureau of Statistics and Plans, with funding from the NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Program and the US Environmental Protection Agency. Symposium participants are encouraged to attend the PIEC and associated workshops, June 22-28, 2019, also at the Hyatt Regency Hotel. More information about the conference is available here. The theme of this year’s PIEC is “Greening Growth in the Pacific.”
Abstracts (for oral presentations and posters) are welcome from governments, academia, NGOs, teachers, and students related to the following themes:
- Managing land-based sources of pollution to protect coral reefs
- Coral reef fisheries management and marine preserve establishment and enforcement
- Managing for coral reef resilience to climate change and restoring degraded reefs
- Creative solutions for community engagement in coral reef conservation
- New tools and scientific advancements for coral reef management
Interested presenters should submit abstracts via email attachment by Friday, March 29 at 5:00pm (ChST) to [email protected]. All abstracts must be in English. There is no fee to attend the symposium or the PIEC. Limited scholarships are available to defray hotel and travel costs.
Submissions should include:
- Presenter name
- Institute or organization
- Contact information (email and phone)
- Brief bio of presenter (max. 150 words)
- Title of presentation
- Abstract (max. 200 words)
- Preferred presentation type: Oral or poster
- Statement of financial need if interested in a scholarship (max.150 words)
The scientific committee will review submitted abstracts and notify selected presenters by Friday, April 12.