Registration Deadline: 30th April 2023
As coral reefs face increasing local and global threats, managing them effectively requires managers to extend their focus beyond the reef boundaries. By incorporating both ecological and social aspects of the reef system, managers can implement a wider range of adaptation strategies that increase reef resilience.
The Reef Resilience Network is hosting a mentored version of the new Resilience-Based Management Online Course with global experts. Beginning with an overview of coral reef resilience principles, this course provides a core understanding of how to build resilience into management and introduces learners to a process that will provide guidance on developing a resilience strategy at the local scale. This mentored course features four self-paced online lessons, webinars that dive deeper into lesson content, and access to experts in the field.
The Resilience-Based Management Online Course was developed with global experts, in partnership with the Resilient Reefs Initiative, Great Barrier Reef Foundation, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Coral Reef Conservation Program, and the International Coral Reef Initiative.
The course will begin the first week of May 2023 and run throughout the month. Course content and webinars will be available in English and French.
- April 6: Registration opens.
- April 30: Registration closes.
- May 1: Course begins. Access course content and the discussion forums.
- May 1 – May 7: Complete Lesson 1 and participate in discussion with course mentors and other participants.
- May 8 – May 14: Complete Lesson 2 and participate in office hours with course mentors and other participants.
- May 15 – May 21: Complete Lesson 3 and participate in office hours and discussion with course mentors and other participants.
- May 17 – Webinar #1 focused on RBM and Adaptive Management with key take-aways from Lessons 2 and 3, and case studies from the field.
- May 22 – May 28: Complete Lesson 4 and participate in office hours and discussion with course mentors and other participants.
- May 24 – Webinar #2 focused on developing a resilience strategy with a spotlight on stakeholder engagement and case studies from the field.
- May 29 – June 2: Final week of the course.
Whilst you wait, why not check out the ICRI Resilience-based Management Hub? The Hub is full of valuable resources regarding RBM including a policy brief and explainer video!