Action Plan 2007-2009
As the joint Secretariat of the International Coral Reef Initiative (ICRI) from July 2007 to June 2009, Mexico and the United States propose the following plan of action for our term.
Ensure the long-term survival, productivity, and recovery of coral reefs and related ecosystems by fostering and maintaining their resiliency through awareness, conservation and management.
- Promote ecosystem based approaches to fisheries resource use and discourage destructive or unsustainable fisheries, extraction or trade.
- Promote understanding and recognition of the environmental services coral reefs provide and their role in sustainable development in coastal communities.
- Encourage integrated ecosystem management from watershed to reef slope.
- Enhance the application of monitoring and research to support improved understanding and adaptive management of coral reefs and related ecosystems.
- Strengthen enforcement capacity and encourage compliance.
- Revitalize ICRI’s regional focus, including through thematic ICRI regional workshops building on ITMEMS3 outcomes.
- Encourage better governance including through the development of regional/national coral reef working groups.
- Enhance Marine Protected Areas as a key conservation tool in ecosystem based management.
- Promote the International Year of the Reef 2008 campaign.
- Promote a successful 11th International Coral Reef Symposium.
- Work with ICRI Members to raise the profile of coral reef related fisheries in FAO and regional fisheries management organizations and arrangements.
- Support enforcement training and capacity building at regional and national levels.
- Strengthen ICRI engagement with significant regional and global initiatives and organizations focused on integrated ecosystem management.
- Promote partnerships, particularly with the private sector.
Mr. Ricardo Gomez-Lozano
Director of the Cozumel National Park
United States of America
- Coral Reefs and Climate Change – Demonstrating the Link between Reef Resilience and Human Well-being
- 23rd ICRI General Meeting
- IYOR Side Event at Ramsar COP 10
- ICRI-sponsored event on Coral Reefs at the IUCN WCC Marine Pavilion
- 22nd ICRI General Meeting
- CBD-ICRI Side Event at COP 9 “Marine Biodiversity and the International Year of the Reef”
- 21st ICRI General Meeting