On October 5th 2021, in the presence of His Serene Highness Prince Albert II, Ambassador for the Ocean at the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs Helen Ågren, and Assistant Secretary of State for Oceans and International Environmental and Science Affairs Monica Medina, the hand over ceremony of the ICRI Secretariat took place online.
As Australia, Indonesia and Monaco hand over the Secretariat to the United States of America, the initiative and Secretariat will be co-chaired by Christine Dawson (US Department of State) and Jennifer Koss (NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Program).
This will be the third time that the United States of America will chair the International Coral Reef Initiative, following the first chairmanship of the initiative from 1994 – 1996 and the United States of America’s second term as chair from 2007 – 2009 alongside Mexico.
The ICRI Plan of Action 2021 – 2024, Turning the Tide for Coral Reefs, released under the United States of America, and was adopted during ICRI’s 36th General Meeting.
Director, Office of Conservation and Water (OES/ECW), U.S Department of State, United States of America
Jennifer L. Koss
Director, NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Program, United States of America
- 37th ICRI General Meeting
- ICRI Online Meeting
- Future of Reefs – ICRI side event at Our Ocean Conference
- United for a decade of conservation action #ForCoral – CBD COP15 Cocktail Event
- Turning The Tide #ForCoral – UN Ocean Conference High-level ICRI Breakfast
- Protecting the Future of Coral Reefs – ICRI side event at Our Ocean Conference
- Side event during CBD meetings: Three Ways to Save Coral Reefs through the GBF: An informal exchange with coral reef champions
- 36th ICRI General Meeting